Start a new topic

RegEx to convert Age to Year of Birth

Hello everyone, I am new to this and have a data file that contains people's ages. I'm wondering if there is a way to convert an age to the year of birth so that it can be mapped to the DOB field in RE. e.g., this year (2019) minus age (65) = 1954. 

Also, is there a place where I can learn how to write custom regular expressions? I am having trouble finding information on this. 

Lindy, I do not think regex expressions perform math calc's.  Here's one way to do it (note: this is not tested and is simply as I type this message 'xx' is whatever column their age is and zz is whatever column you want the year returned).

import.fields.getbyexcelname("zz")=year(now())-cint(import.fields.getbyexcelname("xx"))

of course, there is some defensive checking you could do.

obviously the above is not tested as you should '.value' at the end of each import.fields;

import.fields.getbyexcelname("zz").value=year(now())-cint(import.fields.getbyexcelname("xx").value)

Thank you so much, Dennis. I haven't had a chance to try your solution, but your initial comment that regex expressions do not perform math calculations turned my attention to the data source and I realized that I could just as easily use Excel to perform the calculations before I do the import. That way the year is ready to be mapped. This is not ideal as I have to remember to do this each time before I run the import, but it is a workaround if all else fails. I Googled regex and see that there is a lot to learn. Thanks again. 

Lindy, massaging the data in excel prior to the import will certainly do the trick!

Login to post a comment