Start a new topic

Folder Security

I had a question about Magic folder the other day that I couldn't answer.

Is there a way to restrict access to documents/folders through Magic Folder?

Curious about how user access restrictions in RE impact access to Magic Folder files. I think I know the answer based on this post however I want to be sure.

If a RE user's rights are restricted so that he does not have access to the Proposal section but he does have access to magicfolder on the network...can he see the proposal attachments by going into the associated folder on the network?

I believe you can do fairly granular control access on different folders for different groups of Windows users with Active Directory:

https://www.google.com/search?q=act...der+access

Many of our grant applications and reports have confidential information like salaries in them. Currently that team is using the media tab to link file from their own network shared folder that is restricted through windows. I would really love a way to restrict viewing rights by RE login because the media tab is terrible :(
Many of our grant applications and reports have confidential information like salaries in them. Currently that team is using the media tab to link file from their own network shared folder that is restricted through windows. I would really love a way to restrict viewing rights by RE login because the media tab is terrible :(

Hi Wayne,

MagicFolder does not have its own security settings, and it is designed to read from a shared network location. It's primary purpose is to make information sharing easier.

That said, he way you would lock someone out of documents would be to lock them out of the path set in MagicFolder, at the network level, but that would lock them out of ALL MagicFolder documents for ALL records. Locking them out of the RE records wouldn't be sufficient because the users would still be able to access the data through Windows Explorer if they had rights to the MagicFolder path.

I would probably not be using MagicFolder to store items that should be secured for privacy reasons, or regulation compliance.

Thanks,

Tiffany

Login to post a comment