Start a new topic

Unhandled Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I got this error message this morning. The first time I was trying to import a constituent and an organization relationship at the same time, so when I got the error message figured that there was something I hadn't set up correctly in the Profile. Instead of spending time trying to figure that out, I decided to just do a straight constituent import, nothing but name and address fields, importing into batch, and add the relationship later. But I got this same message! When the error message appears, it has 2 options, See Details and Continue. The former gives you instructions on how to set up jit debugging, I'd really rather not go there unless that's the only way. When I click Continue, nothing happens, the Import screen is just frozen and there is no batch. I did upgrade to 1.7.4 yesterday, and used IOM to do our standard lockbox gift import, and everything was fine. Please help!

Hi Nanette, is there an error message in your error log?

Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff, it doesn't get that far. It goes along, importing, giving me the option to match to an existing constituent, then when it's all the way through, I get the error message in a message box with the 2 options. When I click Continue, nothing happens, no batch, no message or file about/with how many exceptions occured.
Thanks, Nanette
Hi Nanette,

Does it do this on the very first record or only on a particular record? Did you check your exceptions folder to see if there was an exception file created?

Thanks,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I used 2 new Profiles today, please see my first post here. The first was trying to add a constituent and an organization relationship. When I got the error message it created 2 files in the Exceptions folder. One is an exact copy of the .csv file I was trying to import. The other is a text file with the message
Line 1: Invalid Code table entry: State [Object: 'CConstitAddress', PK: '-2', Import ID: '', Desc: '642 Forest', Field: 'State', Value: 'ILL']
No batch was created.
This file had values Address = "642 Forest" City = "Evanston" State = "Ill" and I just saw my mistake! Ill doesn't work for IL.

The second profile was the simple one, importing just first, last middle name, address, city state and zip. I used a real data file, with 96 records. For this, it seemed that everything was working in that the import was going along, adding some rows from the import file, asking me if I wanted to match to records already in RE, then when I got to the end I got the error message, and no batch was created and there were no files in the Exceptions folder.
Just now, to answer your question, I went back to look at the 2 new profiles I created today. The second, simple one could be opened, it looked fine in that all of the fields were assigned properly. When I tried to open (Edit) the first profile, the one for importing a constituent and a business relationship, I got this error message titled "Import-O-Matic Configuration" with 2 buttons, Details and Continue:
"Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.
InvalidArgument=Value of '-1' is not valid for 'index'. Parameter name: index."
Details gives you way too many details. Continue just closes the message, and the profile remains unopened.
I wasn't trying to import, I was just trying to look at the Profile.

Thanks, Nanette

Hi Nanette,

If you are not importing any gift information there will not be a gift batch created (unless I'm misunderstanding you?). Did you look to see if your constituents were added/updated?

For the error you received opening your profile, can you view details then select all the text in the text box, right-click on it to copy it then paste it in an email directly to me?

Thanks,
Jeff
Mea Culpa! The constituents were added, and I had selected to import to batch, so I guess I was expecting to see a Constituent batch. And the other thing, where I was trying to import a constituent with an Org relationship, that was my error, I used Ill for Illinois, not IL! It was Ill when I was growing up there - Senior Moment! And Jeff is working on the weird error message I got, I'm sure he'll have it fixed!
Nanette
Login or Signup to post a comment