Start a new topic

E-Mail Types

importing e-mails has been problematic.  We have existing e-mail types of: e-mail, e-mail business, e-mail spouse, e-mail other, etc., in our database records.  Our import lists will include e-mail addresses, but do not define the e-mail address type (which can be any one of the address types previously listed above).  We do not wish to overwrite any one of the existing e-mail types and have been importing all as "e-mail import" address type and then manually reviewing the records.  I have seen reference to an "e-mail hunter" feature, but could not locate this in your recent user guide ver. 1.9.2.134

We are woefully behind in our latest version (v. 1.9.1.01) and would like a better option than reviewing and updating each imported e-mail address.

Thanks,
Jenny

1 person has this question

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for your post. The newer versions of IOM contain several options to determine what you would like to do with email addresses if that same TYPE already exists on the records. You can access these settings on the Addresses -> Phones/Emails section of your IOM Profile.

You can assign available matching phone type with a different number (eg. use “Email 2” if “Email” and “Email 1” are in use)

When this option is selected, any phone or email type in the import file that already exists on a matching Constituent record but has a different value will be added as the same type appended with the next available number. For example, if importing a phone number with type “Home” and phone numbers with type “Home” and “Home 1” already exist on this constituent record, the new number will be imported as “Home 2”.
NOTE: the additional phone types must have a space between the type and the number – ie, it will use “Email 2” but not “Email2”.

Additionally, you can start at the lowest number if specified phone type is in use (eg. use “Email 1” if “Email 3” is in use)
When this option is selected and a phone or email type is already in use, it will assign the next available type beginning with the base type. For example, if the imported phone is mapped to “Home 3” and “Home 3” is in use, the import will attempt to import it as “Home”, then “Home 1”, then “Home 2”, etc until it finds an available type.
When this option is not selected and a phone or email is already in use, it will assign the next available type following the mapped type. For example, if the imported phone is mapped to “Home 3” and “Home 3” is in use, the import will attempt to import it as “Home 4”, then “Home 5”, then “Home 6”, etc until it finds an available type.

You can optionally create new phone type table entries if all matching types are in use
When this option is selected and the next available phone type does not exist in the RE Phone Types table, the import will add the next available type to the table. The new table entry will have the same configuration as the base type.

I hope this helps clarify these settings. Feel free to contact our Support department if you need further clarification or would like assistance upgraded to the latest version.
Many thanks,
Stephanie Johnson
Support Team

I have the same situation - I do not want to overwrite any one of the existing e-mail types, but I also don't want to add an email address if it already exists.  Logic:

• Email address exists - Ignore
  • New Email Address - add with type of "Email Import 1"

Can this be done?

Thanks!

Login to post a comment